Tuesday, September 24, 2013

This Klutzy Old Gal Trail Runs

Accountability day is here again. Let's take care of the boring stuff first. At the WW meeting we were asked to assess ourselves with some questions which included the following:
1. Did you lose, gain, or stay the same? (+.4)
2. How often did you track? (I didn't track for two or more days. But I was camping with my brothers and their wives, and I gave myself permission not to track! )
3. Did you stay within your daly Points Plus Target? (Most days...those days I didn't track while camping - I didn't go crazy but I enjoyed myself!)

Amazingly enough,  the people who tracked most days and stayed in the Points Plus target were the ones who lost! No kidding!  That will be me next week! (Hope springs eternal!) Oh well. I don't stress about about a week where I went camping and had a .4 pound gain. Life is just too short.

Although one would think that if you went for a 10 mile run during a camping trip, that should have canceled out most of the desserts and bacon! We were at Belknap Springs, a most beautiful place on the McKenzie River, which boasts two swimming pools filled with deliciously hot water from the hot springs nearby.

I love hiking along rivers. We group hiked Saturday morning, then I indulged my love of trail running along the river. What, a klutzy old gal like you thinks she can run 10 miles on a river trail, you gasp? How many bones did you break? Ankles sprained? Bruises or contusions at the very least?
I loved every mile of this trail. It was an awesome experience, if a bit nerve wracking.  I never claimed to be graceful. I regularly trip on tree roots and rocks while hiking (who am I kidding, I trip on my own feet while walking through my house), so as I jogged down the trail, I was constantly reminding myself to pick up my feet and be alert and vigilant for tripping hazards at all times, even while observing all the beauty around me.
 There were many fun bridges to cross.
 I met quite a few bike riders. They were pushing or carrying their bikes across some of the bridges.
 There were some fabulous specimens of mushrooms.
 You should have seen me run like the wind across this bridge.
 Just kidding. That was just a log. None of the bridges made me nervous. They were very secure. The snake that slithered in front of me made me nervous.
A gentle rain was falling during part of the run, but by the time it filtered through the canopy of forest above me, I barely felt it. My turn around spot was at a "Day Use area", and I decided to check out a lower trail before I headed back. Wouldn't you know, as I ran along, I caught a glimpse of several people in some hot springs along the river ahead of me, who may or may not have been wearing any clothing, and who were smoking something highly suspicious. That made me nervous too. I turned and hightailed it back to the upper trail.
So, did I manage to run 10 miles of trail without tripping and falling, you're wondering? Well, yes and no. I had to walk through two brief areas that were very rocky, but other than stopping for a few photos, I ran. And while I didn't fall, it was only due to my lightening quick reactions each time I tripped and felt the thrilling terror of hurtling forward toward the ground. Apparently I'm highly skilled at staggering pell mell full speed ahead with nothing but wildly windmilling arms and sheer force of will keeping myself upright. Three times! Good grief. 

My husband gave a big sigh of relief when I showed up back at the RV, 2 hours and 14 minutes after I left. I'm pretty sure he expected to have to mount a rescue mission before it was over. He had been patiently waiting for me to go to the hot pool for a wonderful soak. So awesome. Wouldn't that be a great way to relax after every long run!

Anyone want to drive down to the McKenzie for a nice run next weekend? Actually I'm thinking maybe McDonald Forest. It's fun to put some variety in the routes!

And to close it up for the week, here's one of my favorite scriptures that mentions rivers.
"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." Isaiah 43:2,3

Ok, just one more:
"Oh that you had listened to my commands!
      Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river 
           and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea." Isaiah 48:18

No comments:

Post a Comment