Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Weekly Rundown

Finally, a happy dance kind of weigh in. After a week of carefully tracking points throughout my days and earning 51 activity points which remained unused, I reaped the reward.

Loss this week: 3.6  (making my 3 week total a whopping 3.8!) Yay!
Pounds to my new goal:  5.8 (I think. I'll evaluate when I get closer.)

I've given a lot of thought to the mental aspect of disciplined eating for healthy enjoyment vs. eating whatever I feel like with reckless abandon. It's so hard to change the mindset from using food to relieve boredom, pain, and disappointment, or to celebrate;  to change my self talk from "I can't eat just one", "I'll do better tomorrow but right now I can't pass on this opportunity to pig out on this great food", "Why even try, I'll just fail eventually anyway." People who don't struggle with food addiction have no idea how food can constantly be calling your name, tempting you, making you feel like you have to eat something now.

The good news is, I've noticed that after a period of disciplined eating that includes only occasional moderate portions of one of my many personal weaknesses (desserts!),  that constant temptation ebbs and I almost feel like I'm in a different zone where self-control is much easier. I felt it this week when I bought a box of Krispy Kremes from a fundraiser at school. I had planned ahead to spend 5 WWP+ and have one. I gave away a bunch and brought four home to my husband. Now, there have been times in my life when there is no way I could go down the road with a box of Krispy Kremes on the seat next to me and keep my mitts out of them. But they didn't even call my name. I was happy with the one I'd had earlier (warmed 12 seconds in the microwave of course and accompanied by a cup of coffee). I was in THE ZONE, baby. Oh, how I long to stay in THE ZONE!

But the bad news is, I've also noticed that a few too many indulgences of sweets or chips can knock me out of that Zone and put me right back into craving stuff that does not satisfy me, because the more I eat, the more I want! All the more reason to stay committed to healthy eating and moderation in all things!

 I've still been thinking a lot about Psalm 36 the past few weeks, and I looked up other versions of verse 8. "They relish and feast on the abundance of Your house; and You cause them to drink of the stream of Your pleasures."  Psalm 36:8 (Amplified Version) What does that mean, exactly? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I just know that I want to "relish and feast" on the things of God, the things that truly satisfy me deep down inside and lead to eternal life, instead of on the temporary pleasures in life.

Oh and speaking of temporary pleasures....I found myself craving a longer run this week, after all that talk about how I hated long runs. What is wrong with me? I just had to go 9 miles on Saturday, and not even one mile was torture. I even felt like it might be kind of fun to keep going.  It's still unbelievable to me how great running can make me feel. I'm going to go ahead and indulge that pleasure as long as my body stays strong. I am so thankful that I am blessed with good health and no injuries, and I am committed to doing my part to keep it that way.

Have a great week and go ahead and be a loser like me if you want!



No comments:

Post a Comment