Friday, October 25, 2013

CrossFit and Fritters

Today I'm not aware of every single muscle in my body from the knees up like I was every time I moved a muscle yesterday. I'm still aware of about half of them, but the others have started to heal up a bit! I started CrossFit this week, and it is indeed quite an all around workout.

What is CrossFit you ask? Well, this is how it is described on the website of Fitness Experience, where I participate:
"CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program that uses functional movement and high intensity training so your body is ready for the unknown of life.  At CrossFit R3, our program is designed for everyone to succeed, no matter what your fitness level.  We utilize gymnastic, metabolic conditioning and Olympic lifting to challenge you physically and mentally,  but when you are done, you are empowered." 

(You are also tired. And every muscle in your body is just a little bit sore the next day. And a few of them are REALLY sore!) But it's very fun. I was happy that a middle aged couple is in our prep class so I'm not alone in there with all those strong agile young folks. Another week of two prep classes and then I hope to do it three days a week for the next couple of months. I figured this is a good time to do it, since it's hard to run with winter darkness and rain, and I hate treadmills. Besides, it's just fun to do something a little different.

Hmm, have you noticed that I've avoided mentioning how weigh-in day went on Tuesday? I gained a pound, ok? I'm not happy about it. I made some excuses, like there were four days in a row of food events, and I didn't track, and...I just like to eat, ok? At our Weight Watchers meeting, the topic was evening snacking. Why do you do it? Are you really hungry? I generally try to save some points for it, but I admit that on those days when I haven't tracked and I know good and well that I'm over my limit, I often have a little popcorn, a piece of fruit, or a little yogurt anyway. It's a habit. Right now, I find myself back in that place where I just feel like eating all the time, and I'm not resisting it the way I want to. Remember, LeAnn, you don't live your life just doing what you feel like. You exercise the will that God put within you to make smart choices!

The experts often encourage us to think about why we overeat. I am not one who enjoys examining my feelings and delving into my underlying motives. I can't really come up with any good reason, even after thinking about it for about five seconds, other than that I just like to eat. It's really enjoyable. Obviously there's a good reason why some food is labeled "comfort food".

I really did have occasion to indulge in some amazing and unique eating experiences last week. One was a fabulous French toast with pears, pecans and blueberry syrup,  enjoyed in the sunshine outdoors with a panoramic view in the company of wonderful friends.

 Another was a family evening to enjoy Mom's delicious homemade apple fritters. My niece Serena shows the uninhibited way this treat should be enjoyed!
Life's treats should definitely be enjoyed....occasionally!

My favorite healthy treat lately is vanilla Greek yogurt with diced pears, cinnamon, and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts. Wonderful for dessert or breakfast. What's your favorite healthy treat?

"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:13-17, 22-24)


No comments:

Post a Comment