Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Bitin' the Hand that Feeds Me

What am I excited about? The new season of Biggest Loser starts today! It is recording as we speak. I'm gonna watch it as soon as I get done with this! Biggest Loser helped motivate me to kick start my weight loss two years ago, and I've been hooked on it ever since.

Good weigh in day today. Down 1.2 pounds for a total of 6.2. Not too many challenges this week. I thought I lost my activity monitor and went without it two whole days before I found it clipped onto my fabulous fleece zebra jammies yesterday morning when I donned them to ward off the morning chill as I was getting ready for work.  I'm just glad it hadn't gone through the washer. Again. And again. How amazing, it's true what they say. That thing continues to work even after going through the washer and dryer.

A few weeks ago at the W.W. meeting, I was amused by an older lady who kept shaking her head and rolling her eyes and making little tsk tsk noises as the leader and other people were talking. When discussing challenges, someone mentioned how weekends were harder because the whole routine is different. She scornfully said, "Well, you must all work or something. I'm retired, so my weekends are exactly the same as every other day of the week." Then when the importance of accurately tracking food by weighing and measuring was mentioned, she scoffed again, telling how she has so many sets of measuring cups and spoons, and five books to look up Points Plus, and she weighed and measured every single bite for five years and didn't lose any weight. Her doctor finally told her that she had to stop weighing and measuring because she was driving herself crazy. (Aha!)

Anyway, she became my friend today. Candy corn (one of my own personal weaknesses which I have not yet touched this fall) was mentioned (by someone other than me). My friend asked if I knew how many points it had. I didn't. She looked it up in two books she was carrying and told me she would go buy a bag and calculate the points for me. "Why thank you, but you don't have to do that. I'll look it up on eTools," said I. ("Did you find it yet? Did you find it yet?") Yes, 3 points for 1 ounce. But I don't know how many corn candies are in an ounce. She insisted she would buy a bag and figure it out for me.  But she won't eat any. What a nice person. I hope she not only informs me how many I can eat for 3 points but gives me the bag! What a nice person! (Is it proper to say corn candy or candy corn?)

All this to say, listening to her makes it especially obvious to me how important it is to realize that my routines and habits are not necessarily going to make sense to everyone else even if they bring success to me. There are basic things like eating appropriate portions of healthy food and getting some physical activity that we all need to do. But you can certainly lose and maintain weight without running. Maybe even without tracking your food. (But I doubt it!) Just kidding, there I go again. We all just need to figure out some specific things that help us stick to what we know we need to do, and not think we're superior to other people who are doing it wrong, I mean different!

Impulse eating is another thing we talked about today. I have to giggle when I think about a recent impulsive bite I took. Will was eating breakfast as I was heading off too work. As I leaned down to give a little goodbye smooch, a piece of toast deliciously slathered with Nutella was right there in his hand. I grabbed the hand and took a bite. Of the toast, not the hand, but sadly, a bit of his thumb did get in the way. My steady husband is not one who generally displays much reaction to pain, but he recoiled, dropping the toast, which hit the edge of the table, smearing it with Nutella on the way to a face down landing on his lap. I dashed to the sink to get a rag and clean up the mess. He shrank away from me in fear, resisting my efforts to clean him up. After I finally was able to stop laughing and stand up straight again, I expressed my great concern for his thumb and was happy to learn it was fine, no blood or anything.

Impulse eating. Avoid it whenever possible. Someone is likely to pay a price for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment